Friday, February 26, 2010

figure it out

Main Entry: reck·on
Pronunciation: \ˈre-kən\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): reck·oned; reck·on·ing \ˈre-kə-niŋ, ˈrek-niŋ\
Etymology: Middle English rekenen, from Old English -recenian (as in gerecenian to narrate); akin to Old English reccan
Date: 13th century
transitive verb
1 a : count b : estimate, compute (reckon the height of a building) c : to determine by reference to a fixed basis (the existence of the United States is reckoned from the Declaration of Independence)
2 : to regard or think of as : consider
3 chiefly dialect : think, suppose (I reckon I've outlived my time — Ellen Glasgow)
intransitive verb
1 : to settle accounts
2 : to make a calculation
3 a : judge b chiefly dialect : suppose, think
4 : to accept something as certain : place reliance (I reckon on your promise to help)
— reckon with : to take into consideration
— reckon without : to fail to consider : ignore

No comments: